Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Green Armed Boy

Last night was probably the hardest and saddest night Jim and I have had as a parents. We were at Jim's Christmas party and everyone was having a good time. The kids were all watching a movie when my little daredevil Finn fell on the floor. He was standing on a recliner and lost his balance and his arm broke the fall. At first his cries sounds like the normal "I'm hurt", but then I noticed that he was holding his right arm. He was guarding it and now crying hysterically. We quickly got into the car and drove him to the hospital. He wouldn't ride in his carseat, so I had to hold him on my lap. Luckily it was only a few miles away. Once we got to the E.R. we were relieved to be seen right away. We were taken back to X-Ray and pictures were taken. The doctor quickly saw the double break a large one in the radius and a smaller one near the wrist in the ulna. Finn was medicated with Tylenol/codeine and a temporary cast was put on. Within minutes of the cast being put on Finn finally seemed more comfortable and stopped crying. He was even ready to let me go to the bathroom as long as he could come with me. He would not let me out of his sight! Once we got home an exhausted Finn quickly fell asleep. The next morning we were able to get him in to see the orthopedic surgeon for the permanent cast. We decided on a green cast for Christmas and he will wear it for the next 3 weeks, then we will go to the short cast. Finn did great with this part and was smiling again by the time we got to the car. I was so happy and relieved to have my little man back. We have already taught him to say cast it sound something like "cath".






No comments:

Post a Comment