Thursday, September 22, 2011

Growing Butterflies

Now that school has started I thought it would be fun to do a little science project with the kids so I ordered us a butterfly growing kit. In the mail we received a butterfly garden and a plastic container full of caterpillars. Our first step was just to watch the caterpillars eat and grow.


After a few days they started migrating to the top of the container and forming into chrysalis. This is the metamorphosis stage when the pupa are ready to leave the container and be placed in the butterfly garden.

After 8 days our butterflies finally emerged and they were beautiful. We had 5 painted ladies fluttering around in the garden. Kenzie and I went out and picked fresh flowers for them and fed them sugar water.  After a couple days we decided it was time to set them free.





Although it was sad to say goodbye to the butterflies it was fun to see them flying around the backyard. A few days later when I was walking Emersyn I saw a butterfly on a bush and wondered if it was one of ours. When I told Kenzie about it she said we should grow more, so that we could see butterflies outside everyday. I think she might be on to something.


No comments:

Post a Comment